Nikolay Rybakov is a famous Siberian artist — a painter and a graphic. In 1980s, looking for Siberian artistic identity, he turned to archeological and ethnographic material, traveled a lot around Siberia, from Taymyr to Tuva, took part in expeditions. Later he bought a house-workshop in Khakassia where he spent a lot of time in contemplative silence, rarely coming to Krasnoyarsk. Rybakov feels himself not only as an heir of Russian old-believers, but as an heir of Scythians, Kyrgyz, Old Turkic peoples, Paleoasians.
Working in trans-vanguard, balancing on the edges of figurative and abstract art, he develops his own Siberian style, not quoting already prepared archaic images but finding his own plastic decisions. His artistic search is charged by inspiration taken from Neolithic art of Minusinsk Hollow to traces of Khakassia’s Manicheans of the early Middle Ages. Rybakov’s art is an attempt to feel and depict the depth of time and genius loci. This history-inspired artist never forgets about material’s formal expression. His work is also characterized by complex textural organization of the surface, dashing paint-and-varnish mixtures and attraction to painterly mastery.
Rybakov is a laureate of All-Union competition “Golden brush” (Moscow, 1991), Baltic biennale of graphics (1995), French National Society of Fine Art (Louvre, 2012), and participant of numerous Russian and international exhibitions from Australia to Paris. His works are exhibited in many museums, including Tretyakov gallery, Centre of Contemporary Art M’ars, Erarta Museum of Contemporary Art.
Rybakov’s art gave a certain impulse to development of contemporary Siberian archeo art in last decades.
Born in 1947 in Trans-Baikal region. Lives and works in Krasnoyarsk.
- In 1972 graduated from Krasnoyarsk Art College named after V. Surikov.
Creative groups and unions
- Since 1980 – a member of Union of Artists of Russia
- Since 2009 – a member Siberian Association for Prehistoric Art Research (SAPAR)
- Since 2013 – a member of French Academic Society "ARTS - SCIENCES – LETTRES".
- Titles and Awards:
- 2004 – Member of Peter's Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2005 – First Prize of The IV Russian Exhibition-Competition of Siberian Contemporary Art ''Post 1''
- 2008 – Distinguished Artist of the Russian Federation.
- 2011 – First Prize of the Interregional Exhibition-Competition ''Red Prospect'
- 2012 – Gold medal of Peter's Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2012 – Silver Medal of the National Society of Fine Arts of France (SNBA)
- 2013 – Bronze Medal of the National Society of Fine Arts of France (SNBA)
- 2013 – Member of the National Society of Fine Arts of France (SNBA).
- 1984 – House of Artists. Krasnoyarsk
- 1988 – House of Artists. Tbilisi
- 1988 – House of Artists. Krasnoyarsk
- 1990 – M'ARS Gallery. Moscow
- 1992 – Central House of Artists. Moscow
- 1992 – Russian Book House. Geneva
- 1992 – Painting. Museum of Fine Arts. Komsomolsk-on-Amur
- 1992 – Painting. Far Eastern Art Museum. Khabarovsk
- 1993 – Museum of modern history. Lyublyana.Sloveniya
- 1993 – M'ARS Gallery. Moscow
- 1993 – Compass Gallery. Lyublyana.Sloveniya
- 1994 – Central House of Artists. Moscow
- 1994 – Novosibirsk Art Gallery. Novosibirsk
- 1995 – Surikov Art Museum. Krasnoyarsk
- 1997 – Anniversary Exhibition. House of Artists. Krasnoyarsk
- 1999 – Graphic artworks. House of Artists. Krasnoyarsk
- 1999 – Painting. Khingan Gallery. Krasnoyarsk
- 1999 – Non-competition exhibition of I Biennial of contemporary graphic art. Novosibirsk
- 1999 Graphic art. House of Political Education. Osh. Kyrgyz Republic
- 2000 Painting. Surikov Art Museum. Krasnoyarsk
- 2001 Painting. Novokuznetsk. Novosibirsk, Tomsk
- 2004 Painting. Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, Moscow
- 2007 – "Oikumena". Anniversary Exhibition. Krasnoyarsk.
- 2008 – "Eyes of eternity deep in the pond". Krasnoyarsk
- 2009 – "Earth-water". Novokuznetsk, Omsk, Surgut
- 2012 – Anniversary Exhibition. Krasnoyarsk
- 2014 – Exhibition ENAMEL. Krasnoyarsk
Foreign and international exhibitions
- 1990 – Signing of Convention between the USSR and UNESCO on the Protection of the cultural heritage and nature. Selling exhibition. Rome
- 1990 – International Fair of Contemporary Art "ART-90." London
- 1990 – Group exhibition "Jewels in the dirt". Tampere. Finland
- 1990 – Group exhibition "Artists remain friends". Stockholm, Malmo. Sweden
- 1992 – International Art Festival "From Russia With Love". Perth. Australia
- 1993 – International Art Fair "ART-MYPH-93". Moscow
- 1994 – Biennial of Easel Graphic Art. Kaliningrad-Kenigsberg
- 1995 – The Drouot auction. Paris
- 1996 – Contemporary art in interior. Moscow
- 1998 – V International Biennial of Easel Graphic Art. Kaliningrad-Kenigsberg
- 1998-2000 – «Unknown Russia». Modern Siberian artists. Leuven, Ghent, Overayze, Hasselt, Tienen. Belgium
- 2000 – "Union of two Koreas". Seoul
- 2002-2005 – "Inner Asia" - Bishkek, Almaty, Tashkent, Novosibirsk, Russia, Khanty-Mansiysk, Surgut, Ufa, Imatra, Ljubljana
- 2003 – "Five artists from Russia", Shtrikker Gallery, Aachen. Germany
- 2003 – III Novosibirsk Biennale of contemporary graphic art. Novosibirsk.
- 2004 – II Independent International Biennial of Easel Graphic Art - Saint - Petersburg; Exhibition of art of the second half of the XX century. Gallery "Vernissage 1 + 20", Moscow
- 2006 – Offering to Vrubel. International Art Exhibition. Omsk.
- 2007 – "High Water". Festival of Contemporary Art. Khanty-Mansiysk
- 2008 – IV independent international Biennial of Graphic Art. St. Petersburg.
- 2009 – "Siberia is not the Far East". Group art exhibition. Krasnoyarsk, Vladivostok.
- 2010 – "High Water." Festival of Contemporary Art. Project Perpetuum Mobite. Khanty-Mansiysk
- 2012 – "Geniuses and Masterpieces", Manezh, St. Peteburg
- 2012 – NICAF. The 27-th Namboo International Contemporary Art Festival. Leon-Ju, Korea.
- 2012 – Man and the City. International Art Exhibition. DIAS gallery. Irkutsk.
- 2012 – Salon 2012 (SNBA). Louvre, Paris.
- 2013 – Salon 2013 (SNBA). Louvre, Paris
- The State Oriental Museum. Moscow
- The State Art Museum. Tbilisi
- Museum of Fine Arts. Novokuznetsk
- Novosibirsk State Art Museum. Novosibirsk
- V. Surikov Krasnoyarsk Art Museum, Krasnoyarsk
- M'ARS Centre for Contemporary Arts. Moscow
- The State Tretyakov Gallery. Moscow
- Compass Gallery. Ljubljana
- Erarta Museum of Contemporary Art. St. Petersburg
- and other state and private collections.